Auto dealers sell vehicles to thousands of customers on a daily basis, with a staff of employees serving needs of their prospects. It’s important then to but make sure the lot is properly maintained and operations run with safety in mind to help prevent employee injuries (and, of course, any customer injuries). A dealership’s salespeople, valets, and shuttle drivers need to be alert and aware of the fact that one false move on their part could cause a serious injury to a co-worker or customer. In the case of an employee injury or accident, the insurance needed is workers compensation.
It is important for you, as an owner, to increase the number of safety precautions taken every time they get behind the wheel of a car. One of the major concerns revolves around basic safety issues, which includes driving distractions, which can account for a number of accidents occurring on lots.
Safety is critical for building and upholding an automotive dealership’s reputation. Using these simple safety tips is the first step in a safety and loss prevention plan. Your goal should be to help keep employees and customers safe, while reducing workers compensation insurance claims and insurance premiums.
Auto dealership safety tips
- Maintain your building’s interior and exterior
- Keep parking lots and sidewalks in good condition
- Provide adequate lighting for the exterior of the building and parking lot
- Keep walkways free and clear of obstructions
- Post signs and install convex traffic mirrors where customers walk
- Clearly post personnel signs to indicate restricted access, delivery routes and vehicle drop-offs
- Monitor exterior grounds with surveillance equipment
- Maintain a safe environment for employees and patrons
Following many of these tips can help prevent obvious concerns, for example, slips, trips and falls due to spills, or obstructions in walkways. Safety training to reduce back and musculoskeletal injuries is also a recommended practice. Insurance for workers compensation is vital, but safety can also be your best insurance!