Putnam Connecticut Homeowners Insurance Tips for Flood Damage Prevention

When selecting Homeowners insurance, two important elements should be in motion: providing protection and peace of mind. A Putnam, Connecticut insurance policy does just this. There is protection against fire damage, vandalism and other losses. There is also coverage if an accident occurs on one’s property and the homeowner is found liable. Both give a homeowner the peace of mind he or she needs.


What a homeowners policy doesn’t cover, however, is flood damage. A separate flood insurance policy is needed for this. This is especially important because for many homeowners basements are no longer where one simply stores stuff. People are spending money converting their basement space into home theaters or a

playroom, building a wine cellar, and so on. A lot can get damaged and without a flood policy there would be no coverage for items that need to be replaced or repaired.


In addition to buying flood insurance there are certain precautions that homeowners can put in place to help prevent significant flood losses. The following tips can help homeowners lessen the risk of loss:

  • Clean all gutters
  • Inspect property during heavy rainfall
  • Install an automatic emergency generator
  • Install a sump pump
  • Landscape with plants and vegetation that are designed to resist soil erosion
  • Think about storing irreplaceable family items, heirlooms and important documents somewhere other than in the basement
  • Have an emergency family plan in place


Super Storm Sandy and other storms are reminders for residents throughout Connecticut of the type of damage flooding can wreak on one’s property. In fact, the average rainfall in Putnam, Connecticut is 4.3 inches, with seasonal rainfall in the summer at 12.79 inches. It’s important that not only a Putnam, Connecticut homeowners insurance policy be in place but also that residents speak with a professional agent to obtain a flood policy.


Policies are available through a federal program called the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and depending on where the home is located, policies are also available through private insurance companies. Be sure to speak to a professional insurance agent about protecting one’s property and valuables with homeowners insurance and flood coverage.


photo credit: MightyBoyBrian cc

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *